Progression of the Empire
Q 1). Answer in one word.
1). She took the charge of the Indore administration.
Ans: Ahilyabai Holkar
2). The most capable and brave man in the Bhosale family of Nagpur.
Ans: Raghuji Bhosale
3). He reinstated the Emperor on the throne of Delhi.
Ans: Mahadji Shinde
4). He managed the politics in the South.
Ans: Nana Phadnavis
5). The founder of the Holkar rule at Indore.
Ans: Malharrao Holkar
6). He captured the Red Fort and tortured the Emperor of Delhi.
Ans: Ghulam Kadir.
7). He wanted to become Peshwa with the help of the British.
8). Son of Raghunathrao
Ans: Bajirao II
Q 2). Write briefly.
1). The work done by Ahilyabai Holkar.
After the death of Khanderao Holkar and his father Malharrao Holkar, Ahilyabai assumed the reins of the Indore administration. She was a capable, astute and excellent administrator. She made new laws for agricultural cess, revenue collection, etc., and put the affairs of the State in order. She strove to bring more land under cultivation, digging wells for farmers, promoting trade and industry, building lakes and tanks.
She built temples, Ghats, Maths, Dharamshalas, drinking water facilities at all important places of pilgrimage in the four quarters of India. She looked into the judicial matters personally and dispensed justice. She bought peace and order to her Kingdom and made her people happy.
2). The valor shown by Mahadji Shinde.
Peshwa Madhavrao conferred the family title on Mahadji. Mahadji Shinde was a brave General and an astute statesman. Mahadji was instrumental in re-establishing the Maratha supremacy and prestige in North India after the Maratha defeat at Panipat. He realized the guerilla tactics of the Marathas would not be suitable for warfare in the plains of the North. He trained his army and modernized his artillery under the guidance of a French military expert de Boigne. With the help of this trained army, he subdued the Rohillas, the Jats, the Rajputs, and the Bundellas. Mahadji Shinde defeated the British and reinstated the Emperor of Delhi on the throne. He controlled the politics of India by putting the Emperor under Maratha’s control.
3). The Maratha rule in Gujarat.
Khanderao Dabhode and his son Triambakrao laid the foundation of Maratha power in Gujarat. After the death of Khanderao, his wife Umabai routed the Mughal Sardar of Ahmadabad. She conquered the fort there. Later the Gaikwads made Vadodara in Gujarat a seat of their power.
4). Malharrao Holkar
Malharrao Holkar was the founder of the Holkar rule at Indore. He served the Maratha state for a long time. He was well-versed in guerilla warfare. He proved his valour in the northern campaigns of the Marathas at the time of Bajirao I and Nanasaheb Peshwa. He was instrumental in establishing the Maratha supremacy in Malwa and Rajputana. He proved to be of great help to Peshwa Madhavrao in reviving the Maratha prestige in the North after the defeat at Panipat.
5). The Bhosales of Nagpur
Parasoji was given the jagir of Varhad and Gondawan during the reign of Shahu Maharaj. Among the Bhosales of Nagpur, Raghuji was the bravest and the most capable. He brought the area surrounding Tiruchirapalli and Arcot in the South under the Maratha dominance. Shahu Maharaj had assigned him the chauthai rights of Bengal, Bihar, and Odisha. He brought these territories under the Maratha dominance.
6). Peshwa Bajirao II
Bajirao II was the son of Raghunathrao. He did not have leadership qualities and had many vices. He was unable to unite the Maratha Sardars. The internal strife between the Sardars weakened the Maratha Power. During the reign of Bajirao II, the Maratha influence in the North and the South waned further. The British defeated the Marathas in the battle of Ashti in Solapur and finally, the Maratha power came to an end.
Q 3). Arrange chronologically.
1). The battle of Ashti.
2). Maratha dominance over Odisha.
3). The British flew the Union Jack in Pune.
1. Maratha dominance over Odisha.
2. The British flew the Union Jack in Pune.
3. The battle of Ashti.
Q 4). Answer the following questions..
1). Who is the founder of the Holkar rule at Indore?
Malharrao Holkar is the founder of the Holkar rule at Indore.
2). Which title was conferred upon Mahadji Shinde by the Emperor of Delhi?
The Emperor of Delhi conferred the title of ‘ Vakil-i-Mutlak’ (Chief agent of the emperor) on Mahadji Shinde.
3). Why there is an inevitable conflict between the Marathas and the British?
Raghunathrao wanted to become the Peshwa with the help of the British. It was not acceptable to the Maratha Statesman. This led to an inevitable conflict between the Marathas and the British.
Q 5). Discuss the reasons behind the end of the Maratha rule.
1. After the defeat of Marathas at Panipat, the British took an interest in the politics at Delhi. They managed to get the Diwani rights of Bengal province.
2. The Maratha State was in disarray after the death of Peshwa Madhavrao. Nana Phadnavis set right the affairs of the State with the help of Mahadji Shinde.
3. After the death of Mahadji Shinde and Nana Phadnavis, the Maratha power began to wane.
4. Raghunathrao wanted to become the Peshwa with the help of the British. It was not acceptable to the Maratha Statesman. This led to an inevitable conflict between the Marathas and the British.
5. Peshwa Bajirao II, son of Raghunathrao did not have leadership qualities. He was unable to unite the Maratha Sardars.
6. The British captured Pune in 1817CE and hoisted their flag ‘Union Jack’ there. In 1818 CE the British defeated Marathas in the battle of Ashti in Solapur and finally, the Maratha power came to an end.
Std 7 History
- Other Lessons from Std 7 Maharashtra Board History
- Sources of History
- India before the Times of Shivaji Maharaj
- Religious Synthesis
- Maharashtra before the Times of Shivaji Maharaj
- The Foundation of the Swaraj
- Conflict with the Mughals
- The Administration of the Swaraj
- An Ideal Ruler
- The Maratha War of Independence
- The Expansion of the Maratha Power
- Marathas- The Protectors of the Nation
- Progression of the Empire
- Life of the People in Maharashtra
1,183 total views, 1 views today
3 thoughts on “Progression of the Empire”
Pingback: Life of the People in Maharashtra – srinivasgollapelli.com
Pingback: Marathas – The Protectors of the Nation – srinivasgollapelli.com
recommended article, i love it